Waterline breaks can sometimes cause waterline contamination. The main problem is lead getting into the water through the pipes. Even lead-free pipes can still have up to 8%.
To prevent your child from drinking tap water containing lead, it is best to avoid this. Use cold water only for drinking, cooking, or making baby formula. Before you use the water, let it run for at least one minute.
Drinking Contaminated Water Could Have Negative Health Effects
Your health can be affected by the type of contaminants you are exposed to. Consider this:
- Sometimes, cryptosporidium can get into water supplies. It can cause severe gastrointestinal problems.
- Nitrates can contaminate water and pose a danger to infants. Nitrates are converted to nitrites in the intestines, which blocks blood’s ability to transport oxygen. An enzyme that is found in older children restores the blood system.
- Children and infants may be at risk of developing physical health problems from lead. Adults who have been drinking lead-tainted water for a while may experience high blood pressure and kidney problems.
Can boiling contaminated water be boiled? It depends on the type of contamination. Boiling water may kill germs but not lead, pesticides or nitrates. Boiling water reduces its volume which in turn increases the concentration of contaminants.
Water Quality And Water Filters
To improve the safety of their drinking water, some people install water filters in their homes. There are four types of water filters:
- Activated carbon filters can remove organic contaminants that could affect taste and odor. Some systems can remove solvents and byproducts of chlorination, as well as pesticides and certain metals such as copper or lead.
- An activated aluminum ion exchange unit can remove hard minerals such as calcium and magnesium. This unit can be used in reverse osmosis and carbon absorption.
- Reverse Osmosis units are capable of removing nitrates, as well as sodium and pesticides, as well fluoride, and chloride.
- The distillation units boil water, condense the steam and distill it to make distilled water.
A single system can’t remove all contaminants. Before you install any system, make sure your water is tested by a certified laboratory to determine the presence of contaminants.
No matter which brand, you must maintain your water filtering device. Water quality issues can be caused by contaminants if they are not maintained.
Unsafe water can’t be protected by a home water filter. Follow local water authorities’ instructions until safe drinking water becomes available.
This post was written by a specialist at One Green Filter. One Green Filter specializes in water softener installation in Brandon FL. One Green Filter is Tampa Bay’s top Water Softener, Purification & Filtration Expert. Our customers chose One Green FIlter because of our consistently high level of service and superior products we use to deliver pure, delicious water to their homes, businesses, and schools across the Tampa Bay area. To schedule a free appointment to test the quality of your water at your convenience contact us today.